When there are several hundreds or thousands of threads in the thread dump, the user might want to search threads based on thread name, thread Id, stack trace … Here are a few sample cases:
- Find all the threads which are executing a specific class
- Find all the threads which are executing a specific method
- Find all the threads whose name begins with ‘ajp-bio-‘
- When multiple thread dumps are uploaded, the user might want to search what a specific thread was doing across multiple thread dumps
- Find all the threads which have priority ’10’
To facilitate such searches, fastThread provides ‘search’ functionality in the application.
Fig: FastThread Search Feature
At the right top corner of the fastThread report, you will see a ‘search this thread dump’ text field. In this field you can enter search term with which you want to search the threads. When you enter the search terms and click on the search button, you will be taken to a new thread search results page. In this page matching thread results will be shown.
Tool also provides advanced search capabilities. When you click on the ‘Advanced Filter’ button in the thread search page, a search panel is show-up.
Fig: FastThread Advanced Search Feature
This panel provides two powerful search capabilities.
- Search Options
- Search Fields
Using this option, you can search based on:
- Regular expression
- Match Case
- Whole words
Using this option, you can search on various thread fields:
- Thread Name
- Thread Id
- Thread State
- Thread Stack trace
You can also combine ‘Search Fields’ and ‘Search Options’ and search for the Threads.